Saturday, May 28, 2011

Overdoing It: Beach Makeup

This is the first post in a new series called "Overdoing It." I started this series because I personally can't stand when I put an appropriate amount of effort into my makeup for the place I am going, and I see someone there who looks totally outrageous in what their makeup is, or their outfit. So, I thought that beach makeup would be the perfect first topic, because it is Memorial Day Weekend, and many people are at the beach, including me.

So I am at the beach today (if you didn't read the above), and I had no intention of going in the water. In my opinion, this is the ONLY condition to wear a little bit of makeup too the beach. If you do feel so inclined, like I did this morning, you can apply two coats of sunscreen, let it dry, then put waterproof mascara and/or tinteed moisturizer to your face. I didn't wear any tinted moisturizer today because (a.) I didn't bring any with me and (b.) it was boiling and it would just slide all over my face. So, I just wore a smidge of waterproof mascara, and was on my way.

I saw people--girls--today with cat-eye eyeliner, blush, bronzer, foundation, and wait for it--fake eyelashes. HELLO. YOU ARE GOING TO THE BEACH. TAKE IT ALL OFF. THIS IS INNAPROPRIATE AND UNNECCESSARY. The first girl I saw was cute--neon pink bikini and gold flip flops. And her hair was even tied up in a messy bun. But then I look at her face and...
Come ON! To be honest, you just look ridiculous when you wear so much makeup to the beach. Trust me, girls. Guys have actually told me that they prefer girls who wear the least amount of makeup possible at the beach. The beach is supposed to be fresh and clean and certainly not a MAC store.

And now, if you plan on going in the water, I really don't even think waterproof mascara is necessary. I mean, I understand that you want to put a little effort into yourself. Then do it someway else: add a cute pin to your swimsuit, fishtail braid your hair, match your flip flops. But don't come to the beach, and go in the water looking like you just came out of a Bobbie Brown studio!

I really don't mean to bash anyone who likes to wear a full face of makeup to the beach. I am just sharing my opinion. Honestly, I would love to hear one's opinion if they prefer makeup at the beach. So here come the questions:

Do you wear makeup to the beach? If so, why? If not, why? Do you think people look ridiculous when they wear makeup to the beach? Answer in the comments below. Happy Memorial Day!

No comments: